Trentino Alto Adige is one of the Italian regions with a higher density of castles. The castle has always gathered an evocative atmosphere and in the mountains, joining a landscape of rare beauty, it seems almost imaginary.
From Madonna di Campiglio you can reach different fortresses in the valleys that surround us: Val Rendena, Giudicarie Valleys, Val di Sole, Val di Non up to the city of Trento.
About 70 km from Madonna di Campiglio we find Buonconsiglio Castle; from the year 1027, when the Emperor Corrado il Salico donated the Tridentine Committee to the Church, in 1803 (Napoleonic age) the territory of Trentino became an Episcopal fiefdom incorporated into the Holy Roman Empire. In the early 1200s the original nucleus of the castle was built on a rocky slope; over the years, princes and bishops settled there and until 1796 (the arrival of Napoleon’s troops) numerous renovations were carried out, both structural and decoration inside the halls.
1916 sees the Castello del Buonconsiglio as the site of the trial and death sentence of Cesare Battisti, Fabio Filzi and Damiano Chiesa. Today the Castle, the Provincial Art Museum, preserves numerous collections ranging from prehistory to the mid-nineteenth century.
Stenico Castle is 40 km from Madonna di Campiglio. One of the most important castles of the Region whose traces date back to the ancient structures of the twelfth century with the concession of the Bishop of Trento to a local family. There is also the church of S. Martino where, recently, splendid medieval frescoes have been rediscovered.
Not far from Stenico, at 44 km from Madonna di Campiglio, stands Campo Castle which appears starting from 1100; the center of numerous contests and struggles between the various local nobles in 1470 was taken by the Trap who modified it thoroughly giving it a late gothic appearance.
An enchanting, evocative and romantic fortress that attracts the attention of artists and poets is Toblino Castle. 51 km from Madonna di Campiglio in the 1500s, the Bishop Bernardo Clesio and the Madruzzo transformed this primitive fortress into a stately residence. The main feature besides its beauty is its position on the lake.
From the top of a cliff dominates the landscape around the Madruzzo Castle (59 km from Madonna di Campiglio). On the valley of Cavedine and at the foot of Monte Bondone, the castle was rebuilt in different periods, now showing an aspect in part Medieval and partly Renaissance. From about 1100 he saw the succession of several noble families until the occupation, the fire and the raid of 1703 by the Spaniards.
Not far from the previous one, and built on a small hill overlooking the homonymous village 88 km from Madonna di Campiglio stands the Terlago Castle. The news dates back to 1124 and was rebuilt in 1500 to be then severely damaged in 1703.
Noteworthy as well as for its origins (uncertain but very far) also for the charming and enchanting position (on a cliff overlooking the city) we find the Arco Castle that reached the peak of its fame around the fifteenth century ; it was partially destroyed in 1703.
Coming down from Madonna di Campiglio along the Val di Sole and arriving in Val di Non there are many castles that meet; the Ossana Castle which dates back to 1191 owned by Vescovi and occupied and partly demolished by the French (1797); there fortress of Samoclevo that from the 12th century dominates the surrounding villages from above; born as a road control of one of the most important crossroads of the valley, 38 km from Madonna di Campiglio, we find Cles Castle. Imponente for its size overlooks what was once the river Noce (now incorporated by the artificial basin of S. Giustina) and was always owned by the Barons of Cles, one of the oldest noble families of Trentino.
Continuing towards Mezzolombardo, Mezzocorona (60 km from Madonna di Campiglio) we cross the Nanno Castle, Bragher Castle; in Vigo di Ton (56 km from Madonna di Campiglio) around the XIII century the Thun family bought the fortress of Balvesino and transformed it into the rich and luxurious residence of our day which we remember with the name of Thun Castle. One of the most famous characters who inhabited this residence was Sigismondo adviser to Massimiliano I, Carlo V and Ferdinando I and in 1562 he was a speaker of the Council of Trent. In 1797 the Castle was plundered by the French and from that year until 1926 it suffered a period of neglect. In the present day it has become a patrimony of the Autonomous Province of Trento.